Monday, June 13, 2011

019 - Pixel and Zuko

Ball Point Pen on Sketchbook Paper

I feel this piece, as cute as it is, shouldn't be as difficult to write about as I am making it.

Day 19 was the day of my friend Joe's funeral.  I hadn't seen him or his wife Asia in about 5 years.  Asia and I had been very close back in the early 2000's.  She saw me through some difficult moments in my life and was always there with an "I love you," when I needed it. Thankfully, Asia let me return the favor by accepting my offer to stay with her for a few days.

Asia's cousin Eve was also staying with her.  That evening, after everyone had left, Asia fell asleep on the couch as Eve and I got to know each other by talking about our cats.  Eve has had many cats in her life, Pixel and Zuko are my first.  Apparently we talked about cats for 4 hours as Asia drifted in and out of sleep.  She told us she found it comforting to here us babble on about or babies.  Her own cats, Yuki and Kona, kept wandering into the room, giving us more to talk about. 

I doodled this image of my Zuko, with Pixel in the background, during that conversation.  I haven't taken the time to research the rest of the symbolism in that piece, though I suspect that the chick and duck Easter eggs probably came from the Christian service for Joe earlier in the day.

I miss my kitties.  I won't see them again until I return to Georgia in September.  They are only a year old and I was never a cat person until they used their Kitten Fu to get me to take them home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment